Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Goo Report: The Cribbed from Making Light Edition


I've only recently discovered from 3pennyjane the joy that is Making Light. Thusly, I have many, many links for you, dear Poofygoers.

As a rock climber and surfer with a spinal injury, I can't tell you how excited I am about the next generation of extreme sports. How excited am I for extreme knitting? The disclaimer for treehouse knitting reminds me a lot of the disclaimers that come with rock climbing equipment, dire warnings that engaging in this activity guarantees you a premature death for which the manufacturers are not responsible. Sign me up!
***
Why am I not waking up to the Stephen Fry alarm clock? Instead of being jarred out of sleep by the raucous energy bundle that is Steve Inskeep and Renee Montaigne, I could be greeting the day with inspiration from Jeeves:
  • "I'm so sorry to disturb you, sir, but it appears to be the morning. Very inconvenient, I agree, sir. I believe it is the rotation of the earth which is to blame, sir."
  • "Come come, sir, let us not be defeated. Let us seize the day and take it roughly from behind. As the Colonel used to say in his unfortunate manner."
You know it's how Margaret Thatcher wakes up.
***
Speaking of merry old England, the BBC remains the journalistic juggernaut that it is because of ledes like this:
Israel has recalled its ambassador to El Salvador after he was found drunk and naked apart from bondage gear. Reports say he was able to identify himself to police only after a rubber ball had been removed from his mouth.
My favorite part is the Dragnet "Just the facts, ma'am" dryness of the reporting, as though the typical BBC reader is well-versed in ball gags.
***
Great news for devoted Muslims. On your next Hajj, you don't have to traipse around the holiest of cities in anything less than the most fashionable of togs, since Mecca is now home to its very own shopping Mecca!
***
Plenty of links to vampiverish tyrants, but the best news is that they no longer have to go without political slogans. My favorites:
  • Raising the stakes of the election
  • Undead for Impeachment
  • Why vote for a 'lesser' evil?!
  • I feed on the flesh of the living... and I vote!
  • Don't impeach- IMPALE!
  • Nyarlathotep / Cheney in '08
And while it's not exactly vampiverish, I do wholly appreciate the Republicans for Voldemort campaign.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Stephen Fry alarm clock, but I would only buy it if it brought you a glass of Jeeves's special morning pick-me-up too (egg, red pepper, Worcester sauce, and special ingredients that may or may not contain dynamite).

[Wodehouse fans know what I'm talking about.]

2:44 PM  
Blogger The Goo said...

I just figured that was included in the price. How could you manufacture such an item without it?

2:48 PM  
Blogger 3pennyjane said...

I'm holding out for the Miss version, due in May. Mornings are stressful enough without gender confusion issues.

8:52 AM  
Blogger The Goo said...

Yeah, but you know Margaret Thatcher has the Sir version, and also that she really, really likes it.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home