Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The State of the Union is Soporific

Elie Wiesel once said that the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference, and in today's case, that might be a good thing. Though I'm loathe to admit that the Object and I do anything so domestically mundane, a few weeks ago we were shopping for a new calendar to hang in our kitchen. The Object pointed to a Count-Down-the-Days-'Til-Bush-Is-Outta-Office calendar, and to his surprise, I pooh-poohed the choice. "Bah! That whole administration is just so passé; I just don't even recognize it as legit anymore."

And thusly, I did not watch the State of the Union Address last night. Just let me have my vote for Barack and gimme my check to make my feel better about your taking only 8 years to put the country's economy through a bigger downward moodswing than Britney Spears after a post-child custody hearing coke binge. The only thing that could have excited me about this year's SOTU would have been Bush's urging the Congress to pass legislation requiring a Charlie Brown-parental womp-womp sound effect whenever the legacy of Bush's economic policies were mentioned in historical terms.

Much more heartening - and interesting - is the State of other Unions/Nations:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home