Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Packing the Visible Suitcase

Things have been a little hectic at work lately.

I have two weeks to prepare the budgets and the reports and the lists and the smickedy and the smackety before I hop on a plane to Copenhagen to help run a fun-filled svoortvermooermblingandglooermblingsaardons (that's Danish for Week O' Endless Meetings and a Very Special Tour of the Inside of the Convention Hall).

I don't think I'm the only one feeling slightly addlebrained with all the hustle and/or bustle going on. Yesterday, one colleague noted about the headquarters hotel, "FYI, the Imperial has a special on couples therapy." It's worth noting according to their website, the Danish version of "Therapy for Couples" gets you:
  • Room
  • Breakfast buffet
  • Champagne in the room
I think psychology might work differently in Scandanavia.

Another colleague, I.E., is going to race in a triathlon shortly after we get back. So on top of getting her respective smick and smack together for Copenhagen, she's training twice a day and fund-raising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Being the lazy slob that I am, I appreciate it when other people put in the hardcore do-gooding effort but are still willing to dish me out a piece of the goodwill pie if I just fork over a little cash. Maximum results, minimum effort, it's almost like I win the race, too. So yesterday, I e-mailed I.E., "If one were to donate to your race, to whom would one make out a check?"

Her response: "Do you mean the triathlon? Or African Americans?"

Do you think that would count as a credit to her race?

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt Eckel said...

What went into the decision to use a "d" in the word "smickedy" and a "t" in the word "smackety"? It seems to give the first word a kind of whispered, childish, comic ring, while the second one has a kind of violence to it - or maybe I'm just up early and so have regressed to poetry analysis mode from my high school English class days.

9:08 AM  
Blogger 3pennyjane said...

I want that kind of couples therapy! Nothing like champers for helping you make deep lasting sense out of a relationship. OH WAIT.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home