Monday, October 27, 2008

The Sound of the Andes

Songs that I heard played on the quena and the sicu, traditional Andean wind instruments, within the course of one day in and around the town of Pisac:
  1. El Condor Pasa
  2. Dust in the Wind
  3. El Condor Pasa
  4. Ave Maria (Schubert)
  5. El Condor Pasa
  6. Juantanamera
  7. El Condor Pasa
  8. Linus & Lucy
  9. El Condor Pasa
  10. Hey Jude
  11. El Condor Pasa
  12. Ave Maria (Bach/Gounod)
  13. El Condor Pasa
  14. Stairway to Heaven
  15. El Condor Pasa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well who can blame them? I would much rather be a hammer than a nail. Wouldn't you?

i think this might be one of those universal lilting melodies that is used to attract americans. I heard it constantly in Copenhagen from the street artists. I even took a few yards of an early-morning training run with this song, provided by a violinist along the canal. I-to-the-E

1:32 PM  
Blogger The Goo said...

That's 100% what it was about. Thanks Simon; thanks Garfunkel! Guantanamera was my favorite tourist trap song - "it's from somewhere south of the US; the gringos will never know the difference!" To be fair, we never really got that sense from any Peruvian, although I do have my suspicions about eating guinea pigs. That's another story for another day.

It took me a really, really, really long time to find some non-tourist oriented Andean music on CD.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home