Thursday, June 21, 2007

Oh, What A Tangled Interweb We Weave...


When I was about 8 or so, my brother, a small-particle physicist, explained the concept of the ever-expanding and infinite universe to me. I was quiet for a moment, absorbing the concept. Not so much for the awe and mystery of the universe, but for the implications it had for me and the course of my life. "Wait a minute," I asked my brother. "So the universe is infinite, and never ending, like a ball that goes on forever and ever, but keeps getting more air pumped into it?"

"That's one way to think about it," he responded.

The wheels turned in my head. "So that means that anywhere on that ball is also the middle of it, right?"

"Right."

"Interesting," I replied. "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!" I bellowed across the house. "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! MOM! Guess what!"

"Hush, stop that racket," she chided. "You're not the center of the universe."

"Actually, I kinda am. Tim said so."

And thus, a precedent of scientifically justified narcissism was set. So do I think narcissistic blog disorder is a problem?

This disorder is characterized by the creation of a blog in which the individual consistently denigrates not only the opinions of others, but the very fact that others have opinions, saying things like "nobody cares what some overpaid starlet has to say about global warming" and "nobody cares what some crusty career politician thinks is wrong with society today." Simultaneously, the individual assumes that people do care about what he or she has to say, in spite of the individual's only political or activist experience being watching the movie Dave twice.

No. No, I do not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home