Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Like the Circus but More Expensive

I .

LOVE.

THE.

OLYMPICS.

Citius, altius, fortius - Latin for glory, gold, and cultural chauvinism.

I love how all other stories are trumped by the games and the surrounding media, ads, and otherwise Olympic blitzkrieg. War in Georgia? Meh. That's nothing compared to the endless Budweiser and Gillette commercials - I'm on tenterhooks to find out if the Gillette guy finally gets a clean shave and his perspiration under control so he can sleep with the cute girl and still run the meeting.

Michael Phelps hasn't had a race in four days, but the media still can't get enough of him. I think I heard this morning that they're going to change the name of the swimmer's Baltimore neighborhood from Fell's Point to Phelps Point - a move heralded by legions of gangly guys who used to get picked on.

Here's what intrigues me most about these Olympics. If the Chinese are hosting, and they're commies, how will the Cubans defect? Is that why they're getting rid of baseball?

What with all the hustle, bustle, and 40 billion-with-a-B dollars spent on the Olympics, you may have missed this li'l gem of a story - I did until alert reader Chris pointed it out:

A cloned dog, a Mormon in mink-lined handcuffs and a tantalising mystery

Almost more controversial than how many of the girls in gymnastics are not 16 years old (95.3%).

1 Comments:

Blogger LZ said...

Quick! Cut to the Phelps cam!!

The Chevy crossover vehicle with that guy I've had quite enough of.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home