Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Les Signes des Temps

My favorite part of Montreal so far has been the signs, which are full of useful survival tips for navigating the city.

A series of signs told us what is appropriate near the train tracks: T-shirts and throwing things out are kosher, but dogs, bottles, feeding birds, and swimming on the tracks are right out.

In winter, watch out driving near the road, since it may freeze your chimney:


I genuinely enjoy crossing the street here, since the crosswalk guy is positively the jauntiest man I've ever seen:
But if you're going to cross the street, be sure to wait for the fire:

After a long day of sightseeing, you can always stop and get a pick-me-up with a coffee Starbucks Coffee:

Montreal has an underground city, which ust be quite useful come the cruel winter months. Apparently, one has to be quite careful, as falling into the underground city means falling haplessly into a life of scary giant syringes attacking you: N.B. According to the mural, drugs are passe. Unlike the mural.

Wandering around the UQAM area of the city, I came across the best name ever for a strip club:
Pussy Corps: it evokes quite a mental image of ordered lines of disembodied vaginas in the Canadian army uniform, their berets cocked with a special panache, doesn't it?

But then the Pussy Corps was upstaged as I came across what my guidebook describes as Canada's oldest and most distinguished Gentleman's Club:

4 Comments:

Blogger Desidirius said...

I believe that sign is actually informing motorists that it is, in fact, snowing in Idaho.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Hey goo,
what about 'club super sexy' in quebec?
Mentioned in the 'I am quebecois' song - similar to Molson's 'I am a canadian' song...

10:12 AM  
Blogger Mansard said...

I love your chimney caption.

It took me at least 10 seconds to figure out what that sign was warning about.

4:07 PM  
Blogger The Goo said...

I still haven't figured out what it's for. I'm fond of the Idaho explanation.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home