Thursday, November 01, 2007

Here Come the Men in Black

Having grown up in Chicago but lived for the past five years in DC, it can be difficult to choose my loyalty sometimes.

Chicago has the better flag.

DC's flag is kinda lame in comparison, plus it has a the unfortunate mullet reference.


DC definitely has the better local commercial- the Eastern Motors jingle is probably one of my top five favorite songs-


-while Chicago's Eagleman commercial, although a local favorite, doesn't have quite the same panache.


But when it comes to the only sport I really care about watching, my MLS loyalties are clear:

VAMOS UNITED.

This is mostly because at a party after a Chicago Fire-DC United game in 2006, DC keeper Troy Perkins (this was pre-Goalie-of-the-year, when he could still hang out with us poor slobs) and some other players bought us beers if Carijudy (also a DC emigre from Chicago) and I promised to become DCU fans. Other than the fact that they're FUCKING AWESOME, I can't really see any better reason to choose loyalty to a team for life.

So I'm thrilled to be going to tonight's playoff game, part of DC United's Blackout push to the MLS cup, just to watch Ben Olsen, Fred, Troy, Emilio, Jaime, and the other fine men in black and red kick some Shitcago ass tonight and move forward. It's already a done deal- I mean, even Britney Spears is attaching her star to their wagon o' success with the release of her new Blackout cd. She may be a train wreck, but at least she knows good soccer.

On that note, I'm leaving you all for a little while- I'm off for my adventures with blood in Uganda. Ok, I don't actually leave until Monday, but I have one or possibly two things to do before then, so I'll need to sign off for a while. I'll be back the week of Thanksgiving, just in time to see the MLS Cup at RFK stadium. If I get a chance, I'll keep you posted, but apparently internet access at the hospital I'll be visiting is sporadic at best, mostly due to their failure to pay the phone bill.

Nope, not kidding.

6 Comments:

Blogger dara said...

I am jealous about the soccer. And the trip to Uganda -- except for the part about the blood, though.

Be safe and have a good time.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great trip! I'm looking forward to hearing about it. Take care!

11:57 PM  
Blogger Spotted Sparrow said...

Have a great time on your trip! Go save the world...or something.

3:54 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Have a great trip! And FWIW, while Eastern Motors is great, nothing will ever replace the H.O.B.O commercials of 2001-2003.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

I can't believe that you would have a disparaging comment about the Eagleman commercial. It's a classic.

"I've got something for yooooouu!"

10:34 PM  
Blogger The Goo said...

I'm not maligning Eagleman; he got me through many a hard time. While he may lack the snazzy style of eastern motors, he makes up for it by having vaguely eastern European hos.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home