Thursday, March 13, 2008

Donations!

This just in from the neighborhoodly people-in-the-know about donations for the fire:
The building is devastated, and 800+ residents have lost their homes and possessions. Neighbors' Consejo is taking food and clothing donations at 3118 16th St., NW. You can reach Evar Sandoval at (202) 234-6855 for more details. Apparently tonight they'll be accepting donations until midnight. They indicated that baby and children's clothes, shoes, food, toys, etc. are most needed.
I cannot imagine how much that would supremely suck, but I'm sure I'll spend the next few nights wide-eyed and worrying about it. If you're anything like me, while you're loathe to admit it, you have more than you need. I mean, in the hunter-gatherer sense of the word, I suppose one only needs so much silver lamé. Consider donating something of yours that you weren't going to give away otherwise - a classy work shirt, a pair of your favorite shoes, a non-tattered pair of jeans.

Maybe not the silver lamé, though.

On a related note, who knows anything about renter's insurance? What makes a good policy? How much should we expect to pay? What are the scams out there? Where do I begin? Is there anything special about renter's insurance in DC that I should be aware of?

2 Comments:

Blogger wordwitch said...

When we were renters (we own now, semi-unfortunately) we just got a policy with our car insurance - Allstate at the time. And when we had a major claim (back in 1999 our entire house was ransacked) they were absolutely wonderful. We placed the claim with them on a Thursday, and by the next Wednesday we had a very nice check. Bet they would insure you even if you didn't have car ins. with them.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Norf said...

I don't know about renter's insurance in D.C., but in all my experience, it shouldn't cost you a lot. Mine has never cost any more than $20-30 a month... of course, I don't own a bunch of Picasso's, so if you do it might be a little bit more.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home