Tuesday, April 03, 2007

This Post is for the Rats

You know where I haven't been in a while? Mixtec, the Mexican restaurant in Adams Morgan with magical hangover-curing tortilla soup that I'm pretty sure Gabriel Garcia Marquez centered a Nobel Prize-winning novel around. They also serve the most delicious mole sauce in the entire universe, including other dimensions and the nefarious dimension X. Also, they have $9 guacamole, which isn't really that great. Mostly because it's nine dollars.

When I went over there the other night, I noticed a sign up that said they're closed for remodeling. Apparently, remodeling is what we're now calling pest control. Maybe the mole was only that delicious because it was made out of actual moles. Oh, and rats.

You know what upsets me most about this? It means that this is going to further delay the opening of the fabled Mixtec grocery store, which has been "coming soon!" since I moved into the neighborhood almost two years ago.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to protest. Mixtec is remodelling their kitchen and enlarging the restaurant to incorporate the next door portion they bought last year. To call that "pest control" might harm their business, and I love me some mixtec.

1:32 PM  
Blogger The Goo said...

Whoa there, whoa there!

A. They were shut down for apparently egregious violations of the health code. I'm just relaying the details of the Post story. So even if they weren't remodeling, they still wouldn't be allowed to open.

B. I love me some Mixtec, too, and I don't give a fuck if my fajita is served by a pack of dancing rats dancing in a pile of shit(which is kind of what the Post story made it sound like), so long as I get my mole. As you'll notice, I said that what upsets me most here is that this is going to further delay the opening of the Mixtec grocery.

Oh, and I should have also noted that in their defense, Mixtec has the most impossibly clean pots and pans I have ever seen in a restaurant. They're spotlessly silver.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look, I know we have this thing where you make the obscure literary reference and I tell you where it's from, but I can't find the Marquez novel with the tortilla soup you talk about. Can you please tell me what book you're referring to? By the way, the president of the American Chesterton Society's wife went to school with the sons of Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look, I know we have this thing where you make the obscure literary reference and I tell you where it's from, but I can't find the Marquez novel with the tortilla soup you talk about. Can you please tell me what book you're referring to? By the way, the president of the American Chesterton Society's wife went to school with the sons of Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home