Friday, June 30, 2006

Empirical Proof: I Am An Idiot!

I did really, really, really well on the LSATs. REALLY well.

But I'm still mopey and bemoaning the fact that I'm an idiot. As it turns out, you can do really well on the LSAT and still get a bad score.

Check it: while taking the test, I had circled problems on the ScanTron answer sheet to go back to. When the proctors started to collect my test, I noticed that I'd forgotten to erase those. Apparently, that makes the ScanTron gods very angry, as all of those answers counted against me- despite the fact that my answer sheet shows them as being the correct answer.

Bruce Arena, I know how you feel.

So this means that unless I can appeal to the kind, beautiful, and fair people of Newtown, Pennsylvania, the dream of law school is drying up like a raisin in the sun.

For the record, after a conversation with a woman in the biz a few weeks ago, I have to say that the career arrow is pointing ever more firmly at publishing. When said bizwoman told me that children's publishing is the "Caribbean of the publishing world", I almost signed up right then and there. I'm at the point where even if I do successfully appeal my score, I don't think that I'm going to law school. Wouldn't you want to work in the Caribbean?

However, the LSAT wasn't all for naught- I can definitely call people out when they make bullshit arguments a LOT better.

So remember kids: to avoid career angst, follow directions! Make sure you erase all stray marks thoroughly!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky told me they're just using your highest score now or something

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kafka compared practicing law to chewing sawdust. People who do well in law (or at least in private practice) tend to fall into a few categories: 1) they have nothing else going on in their lives so it doesn't matter if they spend their lives at the firm; 2) they are greedy or their spouse is greedy; 3) they have no imagination and thus can't imagine doing anything else; or 4) (the smallest group) they genuinely enjoy the process. I don't know from publishing, but while the Caribbean sure sounds better to me than sawdust, it also sounds like you'd do better to be in a more creative environment than either of those choices.

3:00 PM  
Blogger - 'Dash' said...

how do think the LSAT rulers will treat you?

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home